daily quote for your perusal

Bryce is out of school this week due to Kindergarten testing.
We've been having a great time together.
We bought flip-flops. He's kept me company as I finish up the wall in our back yard. He helped me build this:


We've been to two nurseries together, gathering plants. He's been my little buddy and it's been great.

However, it hit me earlier today that this is the final week it'll ever be just me and him. My baby boy begins first grade at the end of July and I can feel the loneliness of an emptying house already pressing in on me.

This is the true irony of motherhood. You spend all their young lives wishing for just a little extra time to get something done or a little 'me-time' on the side, but then you get more time than you've ever needed, just about they're getting so pleasant to be around. *sigh*

Before I was a mother, I longed for the joy of walking hand in hand with a chubby-fingered toddler. That was my image of contentedness. I still hold hands with my kids, but as they leap out of the car and go off to school, I barely get a hug before they launch into a world that I only get an occasional 'volunteer/visitor-status' visa.

I'm going to savor the rest of this week. Spend a lot of it looking into Bryce's every-changing, clear eyes,  listening to his latest observations about pill bugs and iPad games.

Life moves so fast.

4 comments:

Angie said...

It goes too fast, doesn't it? Luckily each new stage has it's advantages and loveliness to help ease the sadness of sending the last one off.

You can have some alone time with Chloe if you want. :)

seegfam said...

Doesn't it?! Oh how it goes way too fast! :)

Anisa said...

I guess being a working mom makes that not quite the same:( Some days I really feel like I don't see my kids at all!

Jessica said...

Too sad. Sometimes I wonder why heavenly father insists on having us love things that change.