daily quote for your perusal

In the past several weeks, Bryce has reached the peak of negative behavior that we have ever seen from him. He's angry, violent, impatient, quick to lash out, throw things, yell...so mini-Me.

I have been frustrated to tears so often during this time period.

One day, I remembered that I could ask Heavenly Father about it all and before I could even finish that thought, little ideas and understanding started filtering through my thick skull. Things like:

  • positive attention

  • praise, praise, praise

  • curb your own temper, he's following your example

  • accept that he's three and a half and work with it

There was a lot more, but the amazing part is still that I hadn't even asked for help (yet) and He knew that I didn't have time to wait for a kneel-down moment. Bam! Inspiration from above, simply because He knew I was open to receive what He could help me with.

After settling Bryce into bed, I cried in prayer with gratitude and for further instruction. After I prayed I was able to make a list of things I could do throughout the day that would help him accept me as a loving, but authoritative, figure that he would be more willing to work with.

The difference is clear cut. When I do what I received, we have really successful days. He has gone back to being very affectionate and will listen to me with a lot less defiance. Daily improvements in both our behavior.

Project: Bryce has been a good, good thing.

4 comments:

rachel said...

I'm so glad that you shared this. Your thoughts on motherhood are profound and deeply heartfelt. I am so grateful for the fact that when it seems like a situation is a bad thing, it turns out that it's actually the blessing of a life change, or an opportunity to receive further light and guidance.

I'm so glad we don't have to parent alone. I often think I wish I could parent like HE does. Hmmm...He waits daily to show me how. Great reminder!!

Seegmiller Six said...

As always...thank you cami, for your insight, reminders, and help - you are amaZing!

CJMsquared+6 said...

Wow! Thanks. I needed that. Caleb and I have our days too. He can be such a sweet boy but every couple of weeks we have so many defiant days and it is hard. Thanks for giving me the reminder to not go it alone!!
Glad things are working out now :)

Christie Gardiner said...

It's so hard to be a mom. At least you know where to turn, "Nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted..." I know He won't leave you, or me, or any of the mommys of his precious ones.

HUGS!

P.S. Three is THE hardest year in my opinion.