daily quote for your perusal

I don't know why I did it, but while waiting for birthday cakes to finish baking for the joint Cami/Mandy birthday party yesterday, I figured out how 'old' Dane was in months. It turned out to be 100 as of Saturday. We both thought that was pretty cool, but this morning I just realized what that means to me.

I have been a mother for 100 months.

It's hard to remember when I used to gage my children's ages by months. Now that my youngest is roughly three and a half I don't give those months much thought. How things have changed since this whole enterprise began!

Some things that I have learned about myself in the last 100 months:

  • Motherhood is the toughest job I'll ever love

  • I have an anger management problem

  • I am a hypocrite

  • I am a better mother to boys

  • I would die without my little girl

  • I like blue clothing

  • I don't like wasted food

  • I love teaching, exploring and thinking with my kids

  • "You are the meanest mommy ever" shakes me up and it hurts me so badly.

  • "I love you more than the universe" are the most beautiful words in the...universe!

  • I need prayer more than I ever thought possible

  • When I make statements like the previous one, I fear having teenagers so much it's hard to breathe

  • Regret, the big elephant, has moved into the room

  • I cannot handle more than three kids and I am at peace with that

  • All I need is love (to give and receive)

  • My kids have a lot (of good things!) to learn from me

  • I have more to learn from/because of them

  • I don't believe I can learn to balance husband and kids. Either one or the other is on the top of my list. Thankfully, it changes...maybe that's balance.

  • Privacy is important to me, even if I just get five minutes a day.

  • My mind is a great place to vacation

I am so grateful to be a mother. It is the most incredible thing that has happened to me and it happens every day.

I know that when I signed up for this that I had no idea how painful and fulfilling it would be, how bitter and how very sweet.

Dane, Ella and Bryce, for better or worse, you have made me what I am. I may not always like how I do things, but I love myself better because of you. You are the best gifts a mother could have.

7 comments:

Seegmiller Six said...

Amen! that says it all!

CJMsquared+6 said...

What a great post and just in time with Mother's day soon at hand!! You are great!

Chunk N ME said...

What an amazing exampleyou are! :)I want to be amom like you!

Anisa said...

Great early Mother's Day sentiment!

kellykumquat said...

This is gorgeous. I loved it and COULD NOT agree more. Thanks again for being my mommy mentor. AND. . . .can you ever forgive me for missing your birthday? I'm trying to be better at birthdays!

The Scott and Camille Neilson Family said...

That was a beautiful and eloquent post as usual. You are amazing. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Mandy said...

this was so beautiful. the picture w/ Ella at the hospital made me want to cry. you are an amazing mother and i'm so glad i get to experience the wonderful things you do now. love you!