daily quote for your perusal

You (mostly) are all parents out there.

As you progress in your parenting journey, you are constantly met with challenges that propel you into another uncomfortable stage.

First you think, I can't wait to get this kid OUT!

Then after thinking: "What was I thinking?" you realize next that nursing really, a-hem, sucks. (Though I am a huge proponent of nursing and have loved it, let's face it. It really hurts to begin with. I don't want to be a target of the Le Leche League.)


Then you wonder: Can it really be healthy to be missing out on this much sleep?!

Suddenly, nursing wasn't so bad when you realize that you're about to give up the security those diapers have afforded you for so long and you enter the masochistic world of potty-training.


Well, I have entered the next phase which is supposed to be both protection and enlightenment for the eight-year-old child, but freaks any normal and loving parent out who has to do it for the first time ever. This is the stage of The Sex Talk.


Cam and I both read through How to Talk to Your Child about Sex by Linda and Richard Eyre and I bawled. I thought Cam was going to handle this first one! Alack and alas, this is set up (beautifully, I admit) for both parents because SEX IS AWESOME! and it is all about love. We've been progressing toward this one via the authors suggested methods and plan 'any day' to plan a day to make that talk happen.

HOWEVER, in the interim, Dane is preparing to receive his first badge, his Bobcat, from scouting. In going through his scouting book, we breeze through the initial requirements and make it to the eighth and final item.

What is it?

Talking to your son on how to protect his sacred body from those who would do it harm.

Of course. And I am alone.

Once again, the idea of having this talk, worried me to a frazzle, but I tell you, tender mercies reigned and rained and Dane and I had the BEST, most comfortable, open discussion about the dangers in the world. I told him that these safety rules (as outlined by the Boy Scouts of America) were going to give him power to protect what was so sacred to Heavenly Father and belonged to him alone. Dane was home due to not feeling well and Anisa invited Ella and Bryce over for some play time so it was just him and me. Afterward, I could tell he felt empowered, not nervous and embarrassed and frightened of the world around him. I could see that what this talk was really about how much I and his dad love him and how much we never want anything to happen to him. He hugged me randomly throughout the discussion, which was maybe 15 minutes long. It gave me a good idea of what he knew (nothing) about this subject as well.


After all my worrying, it felt so natural to have this inital talk with him, because truly, I love him so much that all the awkward nervousness melted into nothing because it simply didn't matter anymore. Only Dane matters and that is a beautiful thing indeed.

4 comments:

rachel said...

Beautifully written. Yes, the cub scout program is the perfect time in these little boys' lives. This was just the write segway (sp?) into the AWESOME talk :)

* said...

Hehehehe.

The stage of the sex talk...really? Can't I just skip ahead from that part and marry my 4 little ones off already? Please???

:)

Kelly Ann said...

good job! I am not looking forward to this. I had a hard enough time teaching about chastity to investigators in spanish without going beet red and feeling very awkward. I can't imagine how hard it's going to be in english to a child that has no end of questions. I'm so happy that it went so well for you!

Seegmiller Six said...

oh heavens I not looking forward to my children growing so fast! Great job - you wonderful mom!