So I almost killed my husband yesterday.
He had already eaten two pieces of this cake that is covered with crushed toffee candy bar, but the third piece could've done him in. 
He is fatally allergic to peanuts.
Yes, I made the cake. I checked the ingredients on the box of cake mix, on the sweetened condensed milk and on the ice cream toppings. I checked, double and even triple checked this item -->
for the mention of any peanut, trace of peanuts or peanut products and there is nothing on the label. In the past, Heath has had such information on their bars and so I haven't purchased them. I've gone with the Skor bar (which, I have just discovered, is also made by Hershey).
Anyway, Cam had a piece of the cake last night and I gave him the cake with the biggest chunk of toffee on it because he likes it. Instantly, he knew that something wasn't right (this is from him simply putting the stuff in his mouth!). He went right upstairs and rinsed his mouth and we sat tensely looking at each other waiting for symptoms to either send us to the ER or back down stairs to finish CSI: Miami.
After a few minutes, he said he'd be all right, that his tongue was swollen a bit and itchy. He said he'd probably end up with an achy stomach, which he did. We went back down stairs and I curled up against him and began to cry, totally frightened.
Believe it or not, this is the first time in our whole 9 year marriage that something like this has happen. It is not fun. I do not want it happening again.

8 comments:
How scary! At first when I read this I thought you meant that you could have killed him in anger for eating so much cake- but it was literal! I'm sorry that happened- I really hope he's ok :( Thanks for your prayers for us by the way- so answered :D
Wow! That's so insane. I feel bad that that happened. It must be hard to have an allergy like that! I wish you the best! keep us posted! luvya!
He's OK, but this cake won't be in my house again...too bad cuz it is good!
Man I feel bad for your Husband! I totally know how it feels! (Only my allergies are with Melons not nuts!) But man, that cake looks really good!! Is that the Better than "anything" cake? Yummmm!!
Yes...better than "anything" cake
So scary! I'm sorry that happened. Peanut allergies scare me. They never seem to be mild. I'm so glad everything turned out ok. (I do love that better than "anything" cake. lol.)
You need to write them about that.
Scariness aside, Ryan will be jealous--he's been asking for that exact cake!
Just make the cake for me... and hurry because I really need to start a diet soon.
I hope he's okay. At least he sees the signs soon and knows when to stop!
Post a Comment