Monday is winding down to a close and I've wanted to write this post for a few days.
I begin with a poem.
Time Machine (a working title)
Musical mechanisms are mysteries
Scales and dissonance are data
Machines slurp it in like gelatin
The whir and the needle are relics
The spin and crackle of vinyl
Isn't just music playing, for
A turnstile is a time machine now.
-----
I love songs that tell stories. I've had several of this type flitting through my (more cleared) head lately and I noticed they had something in common. The titles of the songs were women's names. Naming a song after a person means you've got a guaranteed story song (even if it's hidden in the background, written in the liner notes). Below is a list of some of my favorite women songs. Have a listen to a few. :)
Isabel by Unrest
Jolene (written and performed originally by Dolly Parton) by The White Stripes
Eleanore by The Turtles (My mom and my sister love this song and we sing it loud)
Katy Song by Red House Painters (so emotionally charged and sad, one of those "back story is the best part" songs)
Veronica by Elvis Costello
Valerie Loves Me by Material Issue
Selfish Jean by Travis (I think the video [unofficial] is hilarious. It's done by a comedian who has layer after layer of t-shirts with the lyrics written on them. He removes the layers with great timing, completely deadpan. It ends with one t-shirt remaining, thank goodness)
These are just a few, but I think immortalizing a person in a song is a grand thing.
Labels:
music,
Music Monday,
poetry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment