Three months ago, Cam and I decided to have dates with our kids in earnest. Each month they get a date with one of us. One month I'll take both boys (at different times) and Cam will take Ella. The next month we switch.
We try to keep them on the cheap, though we do have a $5 dollar budget just in case.
Most often, they involve an ice cream cone and a movie (at home or the dollar theater).
This ice cream date with Bryce was sponsored by the library. Read five books, get a small ice cream for free. Yay! So Bryce and I used the rest to buy dye to tie-dye a shirt for him. He loved that!

Once Ella and I bought flowers for our garden, I let her pick out several six packs. When I first came up with the idea she hugged me and told me I was the best mommy EVER! The night before we were to have our date (keeping in mind that Bryce had gone to a movie with dad earlier in the week) she said, "Mom, our date tomorrow is really just shopping. That's not a date."
I was so sad! Cam told me to stick with my plan, so the next morning we headed to Lowe's to get the flowers. We hadn't been browsing long when she hugged me and said "This was a lot more fun than I ever thought it would be!" She even stuck with me throughout the planting and she designed how they would be planted (in a rainbow shape). The girl has good taste.
I've taken Dane to the library in the evening, just the two of us. That was enough for him.
I think they really long for one on one time with us. I can see the benefits of them knowing they're going to have us all to themselves. I think they feel closer to us and I feel like I have permission to give them my full attention.


1 comments:
I used to do that, but it was short-lived. I think I should start it up again:)
by the way, I've been thinking about you a lot lately... I really miss you:(
Post a Comment