I loved watching The Grammys when I was in high school. I always hoped to see my favorite bands in the audience and to revel in their winning some award.
Problem: I was raised on Motown and only listened to alternative music. **
Then in 1992 R.E.M. won Best Alternative Album (the second recipient ever) and I was so thrilled!
This year The Black Keys won for Brothers. An awesome album! Yay!
I really don't watch the Grammys anymore, but then I found a list of why I should this year. It didn't matter what the list said other than that Florence + the Machine would be participating in an Aretha Franklin Tribute. Unfortunately, I missed it (the kids do need to go to sleep AND miss the Grammys), but here is an interview of the performers. Florence shows up at 1:34.
This is a red carpet interview with Florence who was nominated for Best New Artist (she lost).
After I hurriedly tucked in my kids, I ran down to our TV and turned it on.
Who was there? On the screen, right there?
Why, MUSE!!! They sang Uprising on a set mimicking their awesome concert set.
YAY!!!
It was a pretty awesome night. I liked the acts that performed with Bob Dylan. I was sad to see that Barbara Streisand really can't sing like she used to and it was nice to see Lady Antebellum win so much and so graciously. (I could've been spared glimpses of Lady Gaga and her extra shoulder bones)
Even Eminem was impressive in his angry white man energy. I do not know how rappers remember all those words (meaning lyrics are easier to remember when set to music)!
The best part was just watching it all with my husband, relaxing at the end of a nice weekend.
**When I was watching the Grammys Motown was long gone and the Best Alternative Album category wasn't created until 1991
Labels:
music,
Music Monday,
TV
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I used to really get into this stuff too. I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on some really good music by not listening to the radio much anymore; but I just hate having to wade through all the crap to hear something decent. I love REM.
Post a Comment