daily quote for your perusal

Since I've just made the ridiculous goal of reading 70 books in 2011, I've been thinking about the many books I read in 2010. It was a great reading year. Such great books!
Here are a few that stuck with me the most (in chronological order):


1. My Name is Asher Lev (read in Feb 2010)

Author: Chaim Potok

This one shook me up a lot. It was good and intriguing. I loved the practical writing.



2. Johannes Cabal the Necromancer (read in Mar 2010)

Author: Jonathan L. Howard

This was such a cool book. It was dark, but carnival under-belly creepy. It was intelligently funny and I kept thinking about the main character. Too bad the second in the series was such a let-down.

3. Saturday (read in May 2010)

Author: Ian McEwan

This was kind of an Everyman tale of what one man experiences one fateful Saturday. I really enjoyed the excellent writing, story line and experience of reading this book.


4. When My Name was Keoko (May 2010)

Author: Linda Sue Park

This young adult novel by a great author was recommended to me by my dear cousin who happens to be Korean herself. It made me aware of a portion of World War II that I'd never known about: the Japanese occupation of Korea and the experience of the Korean people being robbed of their identity and culture, one piece at a time.

The good news is that the story is told wonderfully through the eyes of a little girl.


5. The Miracle of Forgiveness (July 2010)

Author: Spencer W. Kimball

Reading this was a painderful experience. Yeah, you read that correctly. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The comedy of it, is that Cameron gave this book to me fifteen years ago. Finally got around to reading it.

I am very grateful for this book and its teachings.


6. The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay (July, Aug, Sept 2010)

Author: Suzanne Collins

I loved this so much as a complete series. My husband and I read it together and it kept us turning pages like crazy, waiting anxiously to get our hands on the next one. I really enjoyed the complete arch Katniss experiences from start to finish.



7. Water for Elephants (July 2010)

Author: Sara Gruen

I loved the experience of reading this. I am not the type of person to want to read about a circus and the connected folks, but this was great! Read with an eye willing to skip a few gritty moments, but definitely consider reading it before seeing the movie.

I was just as fascinated by how she came to write the book as she was not the type of person to write about a circus.

8. Stolen (Sept 2010)

Author: Lucy Christopher

The premise of this book was a kidnapped girl writing about her experience with Stockholm Syndrome. This brings the syndrome to you. You feel it and it is hard to shake. Honestly, only the fact that I am a mother set my mind to rights.


                  9. The Tale of Halcyon Crane (Sept 2010)

                  Author: Wendy Webb

                  This was a great Gothic thriller written in modern day. It was a fun little thrill and I really enjoyed it.


                  10. The Patron Saint of Liars (Sept 2010)

                  Author: Ann Patchett

                  The writing here was so fantastic, the characters so whole.


                  11. Rose Daughter (Nov 2010)

                  Author: Robin McKinley

                  I read three different fairy tale retellings by Robin McKinley this year and thoroughly enjoyed them all. They each affected me differently. Deerskin was upsetting and amazing. Perhaps I should have put that here instead.

                  12. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Dec 2010)

                  Author: Rebecca Skloot

                  I loved how this scientific book/biography held my attention. It was so well-written. I was fascinated by cells. Who'da thunk?

                  4 comments:

                  rachel said...

                  Just reading all of this, I need to pick up Saturday and the Patron Saint of Liars. I should read everything on this list I haven't read. You made them all sound so good.

                  Jessica said...

                  I think I have all those on my goodreads...I LOVE Chaim Potok. I wanted to name Seth Asher because of that book!

                  Anisa said...

                  Nothing... big surprise... I have actually read one of the books on your list... another big surprise.

                  Kelly Ann said...

                  Thanks for the ideas. Some of those I had been considering and it's nice to hear good about them to reaffirm my enthusiasm.
                  p.s. so good to see regina spektor on your music ideas. she's a new fave.