New York City is an old Grande Dame of a lady that can't quite keep up with her upkeep.
The first thing that Cameron and I had to face on our second trip (just two nights this time) to New York City was this extremely long, broken-down escalator. We just finished climbing up and thought it very picture worthy. We arrived Friday evening and had just enough time to check in, change and take the subway to here:
I had my first cannoli after the show.
These are some sites on the way back to our hotel.
St. Patrick's Cathedral at night.
Saturday morning we dropped by Grand Central Station. HUGE place!
We went to the official (the original, right?) New York City Library. It was mostly covered up by renovations, but at least the lions were on display.
It was awesome inside and I love how they grouped their poetry section. I even helped out by re-shelving a misplaced collection of Auden poems. Yes, I am a serious library nerd.
Warning: if you take pictures inside TURN OFF THE FLASH!!! A fellow tourist snapped a photo with a flash and two guards from different areas of the same level converged on the poor soul peppering them with angry "No flash! No flash!" calls.
Warning: if you take pictures inside TURN OFF THE FLASH!!! A fellow tourist snapped a photo with a flash and two guards from different areas of the same level converged on the poor soul peppering them with angry "No flash! No flash!" calls.
We hung out at Bryant Park while we waited for the library to open. Happy Anniversary to us!
After switching hotels to the, ahem, Waldorf-Astoria (I can now be thankful that Cam was a frequent traveller) for our second night we went to the American Natural History Museum and Rose Center for Earth and Space. Cam soaked up this place like I did with the Met last year. He didn't want to leave. We watched an IMAX with images from the Hubble and saw the regular planetarium show. Very interesting.
Check out this bad boy meteorite.
I'm more of a history girl than space and the future type, so I was really happy with the dinosaur section. There were more types of skulls and skeletons than we'd ever seen before. The variety was amazing. Here's a T-Rex
The parasaurolophus is a long time family favorite (mainly because we learned to pronounce it), but this was one of many amazing crested/horned dinos. I loved these.
I missed the kids a lot here. There was so much that they would have loved.
Nothing beats eating on the streets of NYC.
Saturday night we headed over to the Lincoln Center for the Perfoming Arts to watch a Met opera out of doors. Then Cam said "There's Moroni!" He saw the reflection of the temple in a window before we realized the Manhattan Temple was right there. I'm glad we at least got to walk by.
Here are a few images of the amazing soprano that played Floria Tosca.
Both of us were so moved by the performances. Even though we hadn't been familiar with the music, it was our favorite experience for this trip.
My trip to New York wouldn't be complete without another visit to the Metropolitian Museum of Art. Like Claudia from From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler I could really live here.
Both of us were so moved by the performances. Even though we hadn't been familiar with the music, it was our favorite experience for this trip.
My trip to New York wouldn't be complete without another visit to the Metropolitian Museum of Art. Like Claudia from From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler I could really live here. The more I see of Van Gogh, the more I love him. Look at how thick that paint is!
Seurat
There was an odd creation on the roof called The Big BambĂș. We weren't too interested, but look at the view! A sea of Central Park with the sky-scraping mountains behind.
Gorgeous medieval limestone sculpture.
There was an odd creation on the roof called The Big BambĂș. We weren't too interested, but look at the view! A sea of Central Park with the sky-scraping mountains behind.We headed back to Penn Station (and on to Newark Airport) right after this photo was taken, having just finished a huge Reuben sandwich at a great luncheonette. Yum! Now that was a bite!
Oh, I love New York!

4 comments:
Ooooooh! I'm going to faint & fall on the floor already.
My last trip to NYC (other than the airport, en route from Uruguay, to London, and back from London) was forever ago, when I was 17.
Love the Waldorf Astoria. A lifelong dream of mine to actually see that place from somewhere other than the curb. :)
Love the NYPL lion pic. Glad you helped reshelve some books (we Librarians need all the help we can get!).
And that VanGogh, I was just studying it today online, it is a beauty (and such thick paint!).
I could gush (oh, too late?)...man, I really want to go to NYC again. My neck hurt when I went, I kept looking and looking and soaking in all the architecture (a huge passion of mine) and the people and smells, and, and...
:)
Looks like you guys enjoyed it!
That sounds (and looks, thanks to your photos) like an amazing two days. Wow!
This is one of those times where I am so bugged I can't just go out and copy you tomorrow! So jealous...it looked so perfect!
Those pics made me ALMOST feel like I was there. Oh, someday. So glad you had a fabulous time.
Post a Comment