daily quote for your perusal

Way back in 1997-98, I was a missionary.

I worked hard.

I studied.
I likened the scriptures unto myself and my situation.

Often times, if I study the scriptures, I find myself in the happy memory of what those inspiring verses meant to me then, rather than studying out what they could mean for me today.

There are so many wonderful missionary/sharing-the-gospel verses contained in the scriptures, but just today, I understood that I could actually apply them to me now.

What am I now?

I am a mother
a wife
a Primary secretary
a member of my community
an aunt

This morning D&C 100 verse 6 came to me as I was thinking about my children. "For it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say."

I have really been trying hard to be a good mother these past few weeks. By trying hard though, I mean I've been praying hard for every aid and help the Lord could give me. I have increased in patience, tolerance, soft speaking, problem-solving, chore-tasking, however I still have struggled with coming up with the right thing to say, at the right moment that will help me help my kids be at their best.

So many discipline theories tell you that you're supposed to have the ideal response ready at all times for each situation. These ideas have left Cam and I frustrated because it's IMPOSSIBLE.

However, I have never before thought of receiving this kind of help, this 'given you...what ye shall say', with parenting. So often my responses to my children aren't kind, respectful, genuine, helpful or testifying (of faith in God or them), but I know that today I was supposed to learn this and I'm going to try it out.

I am going to ask for the specific help of having the right messages, the right words come into my mind in my interactions with my children. I have faith that this can work.


More of this section is worth reading:
5 Therefore, verily I say unto you, lift up your voices unto this people; speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts, and you shall not be confounded before men;
6 For it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say.
7 But a commandment I give unto you, that ye shall declare whatsoever thing ye declare in my name, in solemnity of heart, in the spirit of meekness, in all things.
8 And I give unto you this promise, that inasmuch as ye do this the Holy Ghost shall be shed forth in bearing record unto all things whatsoever ye shall say.

Ooh, does verse 8 mean that my kids will actually retain what I say to them? :)

4 comments:

Angie said...

Very nice. I finally downloaded the scriptures to my mp3 player and have started listening to them. The narrator's voice reminds me of being in the temple, thus taking my scripture "reading" to a different level.

I'm definitely going to remember that verse. There's quite a few times where my mind goes blank in response to something one of the kids says/does.

Thanks for sharing your insight!

Anisa said...

I love how versatile the scriptures are.... if you have a question in mind, the answer comes and can be interpreted to what you need to hear.

I'm thankful for the reminder of the daily things to pray and seek answers for.

Jeana said...

What a cute missionary!

The Scott and Camille Neilson Family said...

Thanks for the insight! I need to do more "likening" to my current situation too. I needed that reminder.