daily quote for your perusal

Dane has been in a sour mood...since Monday.


School started and so did homework. His playtime is gone. He's bummed.

Tonight, he was complaining yet again (a la Disney's Robin Hood "My downs outnumber my ups.") about how his life is so hard and I told him to count his blessings.

I was putting both boys to bed and since I was waiting for Bryce to finish up in the bathroom and since I had my notebook in my hands, I sat down on his bed and we began a list of blessings.

It turned out to truly be an awesome lesson for him as he rattled off 53 blessings in just a few minutes.

"Wow. That's a lot of blessings in my life."

List includes:

  • Being alive
  • Clothes
  • Food
  • House to keep the rain off
  • Umbrellas
  • Good toys
  • A loving family
  • Baptism
  • Living grandparents
  • A good teacher at school
  • Blankets
  • Coats
  • Jackets
  • Parents that got married in the temple
  • Dishes to eat off of
  • Five senses
  • Boats and airplanes for travel
  • Light
  • Night
  • Running water
  • Indoor toilet
  • Belonging to the true church of Jesus Christ
  • Primary teachers
  • Board games
  • Good books
  • Stuffed animals that are special
  • Submarines
  • Knowing about giant squids
  • Cameras, movies, video games, TVs, DVD players (were all the same number, 44 incidentally)
  • Paper
  • Air
  • Plants
  • The ability to grow
  • Lips
  • Good dreams

He went to bed with the sweetest smile on those lips he's been blessed with.

5 comments:

Angie said...

That's such a good lesson to learn so young! See, I told you you're a brilliant mother. :)

Melissa said...

Jesse has been the same way this week!! It has been so frustrating!! I think I may try to have him list his blessings!! What a Great idea!! Thanks!! :)

Jake said...

You actually had him "Count Your Blessings." That's pretty cool.

Anisa said...

I am thankful for most of those things too!!!

Seegmiller Six said...

I love it!