daily quote for your perusal

It is hard to teach kids about gratitude.

Especially when it comes to praying. Kids constantly think about what they want/need (and it's a good thing they tell me about it or no one would eat around here)...oh and about having fun. My kids are always praying to 'have a good time.'

Yesterday, for Family Home Evening we went around the table and had everyone tell us something they would be sad about if they didn't have it. When they would say something, then I would say: "Well, you must be grateful for _____ then." I'd let them know that it was something they could thank Heavenly Father for during their prayers.

They were all worth mentioning, but here's what I remember.
Ella:
Her room
Her brothers
Her toys

Dane:
His home
His family
His clothes

Bryce:
His Daddy
His Clothes
His room
Cami:
Technology to help with chores
Temples
The Scriptures

Cameron:
His car
His clothes
His wife

Then bedtime came with nighttime prayers. I had the boys (we switch off each night for bedtime routine) and Dane helped Bryce with his prayer. Both prayers were rich with gratitude and at the end of his prayer, Dane's voice was becoming a bit choked. He finished and I asked if he were okay.

Quietly, he asked me if I knew how sometime people cry when they're happy?

Yes, I replied and I let him know that he was feeling the Spirit tell him that what he has shared with Heavenly Father was good.

It was a good moment. Those moments you pray for. I am grateful that I could be there for that.

3 comments:

rachel said...

BEAUTIFUL!! Thanks for sharing this :)

The Scott and Camille Neilson Family said...

What a sweet moment!

CJMsquared+6 said...

How wonderful... it made me cry just reading it..