daily quote for your perusal

Hardly a Sunday goes by that I don't have a strong compulsion to make something sweet for dessert.


Beginning when I was about 9, my mom began working some graveyard shifts at the hospital (she's a nurse). She'd leave us Sunday evening with dinner and a box of Jello pudding that we could make. We loved pudding and so this was quite a treat. Usually we had chocolate, but we frequently had Pistachio. We'd make it. Sometimes we'd go visit her at work while it set up. When it was ready, we'd watch the Disney movie that would often come on and we'd all just eat out of the bowl.

Occasionally, my Dad and I would make something really unusual. Our strongest memory of this is when we made Orange Meringue pie. It was very good. I milder version of Lemon Meringue.

I made cake a lot, my favorite being out of the Betty Crocker cookbook (1974 ed.) called the Bonnie Butter Cake. I think it was when I was making this cake that I came across "confectioner's sugar" as an ingredient. I had no idea what this was, so I called my mom to ask her if she knew. My dad found out that I'd called her about this and acted mildly insulted that I didn't think that he would know what it was.



Anyway, so last Sunday I had a half pint of cream with no assignment. Oh, the possibilities! Well, time was running out and then I stumbled upon a great idea:


CHOCOLATE WAFFLES


Drool away!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Excuse me while I wipe my chin....Ok. I may just have to get the recipe for that one. I have a bottle of whipping cream in my fridge that needs some using.

Cami said...

The recipe is in an Alton Brown cook book. It was a regular waffles-from-scratch recipe and was altered with 1/2 c. cocoa powder and a teaspoon of vanilla.
They were so light and airy and yet had a great dark chocolate taste that was borderline-bitter and cried out for whipped or ice cream.

rachel said...

I can attest-those are as good as they look :D