I am sure that many of you have heard of The Wedding Singer. The only charming movie made by Adam Sandler in the comedy genre.
Anyway, part of me hesitates on posting this subject as I don't want to come across as disrespectful, but I don't know anyone that has sung at more funerals of people they don't know than I have. I have sung at funerals of people I loved dearly as well, but don't you find the former fact odd? Thus I have often dubbed myself:
The Funeral Singer
I have sung the funerals of:

- two of my great-grandmothers
- a dear, life-time friend
- my husband's cousin
- both of my step-grandfather's parents
- my mother's friend's ex-husband
- my little sister's 'adopted' grandmother
- my great, great aunt by marriage
- my step-grandfather's sister's boyfriend's daughter
There are seriously some odd ones in here, I know.
Some of the songs I remember singing:
- Where is Heaven?
- Daddy's Hands
- Somewhere My Love (theme from Doctor Zhivago)
- I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus
- Song to the Siren
- Bridge Over Troubled Water
- How Great Thou Art
The best thing about singing at funerals is the wonderful and comforting spirit there, knowing that through Christ we will all live again. I've never really found a funeral boring. I have loved learning about others lives through those who loved them best.
You know, I've sung at weddings too, but the pay is not worth it. I guess I can't stand thinking that I might ruin someone's wedding, but when you're dead...you're really not going to say anything, are you? And I prefer doing it for free...no one is going to pay you to sing at a funeral.


6 comments:
I'm praying that I don't need your services any time soon.
Girl!!! You are amazing!! you made me cry when you sang Fantine's song "The dream i dreamed" Crap, I'm making up the name cuz I can't remember the real name! LOL!! Anyways, you have the voice of an angel. i bet everyone is clamoring to have your services, and yes, you are MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Adam Sandler :) You spin me right round baby!
Morbidly humorous! Can you sing at my funeral. I figure I'd better book you now.
hehe. me too! i actually have a friend that worked at a funeral home (in billing) and had to sing whenever they didn't have a family member to sing for them.
xoxo
With your voice and confidence, OF COURSE!
I was always so sad was discovered our voice-blending so late in the game...we would have made it BIG on the funeral singing circuit!
I'll have to rack my brain here, but here are a few I remember having done...
The Wind Beneath My Wings (two or three different funerals), What a Wonderful World (most recently at the funeral of my best friends husband), Daddy's Hands (a total stranger), A medley of Be Still My Soul and Lead Kindly Light and I know that My Redeemer Lives (husband's grandma), anyways there are a lot more... the thing I find most interesting is that i'm usually asked to sing something I've never done before and I only have a couple of days to learn it. AND i'm always really nervous, but the spirit of the funeral always calms me and I manage to pull it off. Hey maybe we should hook up for a funeral sometime.
Post a Comment