My son Dane transformed this week from semi-interested reader with capabilities but little comprehension to a super monster of a reader in just 3 days! To find out more, read on!
To cut through the hype I want to share my honest story with each of you. I had struggled with my son to find the right level of chapter books to really help a love of reading (and not just being read to) to take off. I had tried some books, but he couldn't tell me anything about what he had read. Often heard comments were: I don't remember and I don't know and I'm not going to read it again.
Friends, I was beyond frustrated. I felt we had reached a critical time in his reading development. I needed help. I just didn't know how to take him to the next level.
While gathering books at the local library I decided to present my problem to the librarian in charge of the children's desk. She showed me series after series geared toward my son's skills and interests and I got them and brought them home.
Monday evening he opened Ricky Ricotta's Giant Robot. He read and read and read. He read to himself, to his siblings, to his dad. He finished and began reading Dolphins at Daybreak of the Magic Tree House series. His dad had been reading this series to him. Dane finished this book the next morning, ignoring the time he usually has to use the computer. As soon as he finished, he began the next in the series, Ghost Town at Sundown.
The excitement this brings to me is indescribable. All this can be yours for free! Help your son or daughter discover the way to reading joy by asking your local librarian.
Taxes and transportation costs vary from state to state as do daily late fees. Users encouraged to visit library weekly for best results.
Labels:
books and reading,
Dane
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I'm not to that level yet, but it's fun just seeing Brenner learn how to read 3 letter words!
Post a Comment