daily quote for your perusal

Cancer-Free

Two little words that we've been waiting anxiously to hear in connection with my dad since his diagnosis in February.
The last few months have been filled with intense prayer, worry and connecting with each other. We have been so blessed by this cancer. I hate that my dad had to suffer these last few months, but I hope he knows what a difference his experience has made for the rest of us, how profoundly it has changed us all. 

This is the dad I've known all my life. This is a favorite picture of mine.

This was my dad on his 60th birthday a month and a half ago. Nowadays, the man above is unfamiliar and I've become quite used to the one here. It seems so crazy.
Anyway, on Thursday, about five weeks since his final chemotherapy administration, my parents went to the doctor to hear the results of the body scan. "Cancer-free."
There has been such a wonderful weight of gratitude over my heart. Immediately, I think of all those thousands of prayers that have been offered on behalf of my dad, many by those of you who don't even know/ have never met him. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
We feel so blessed and yet there is an odd absence. Voiced well by one of my children "It is so strange that grandpa isn't sick anymore, that he is just fine." We all know what he means and we wouldn't have it any other way.

7 comments:

Angie said...

I am so thrilled for your family. It makes me smile every time I hear you say he's cancer free. YAY!

Joni said...

What a beautiful thing to know. I'm so happy that weight has been lifted.

Cami said...

Thank you, Angie and Joni!

Anisa said...

It's amazing how these trials can bring such amazing blessings!!! And getting to keep your dad around for many more years is the best blessing of all! Such wonderful news:)

seegfam said...

oh cami! that is such wonderful news! I am so happy for you!

Christie Gardiner said...

Oh Cami! Yay! So wonderful. So happy for you!

The Scott and Camille Neilson Family said...

Cancer is such a scary thing. I'm so glad you had a happy outcome! Going through something like that definitely makes you think about what's most important! So happy for you!