daily quote for your perusal

Last week, I started school.

And when I say started...there was a man with a racing pistol standing next to me.  He fired it and I began loping along like the tortoise in those old Looney Tunes "Tortoise and Hare" cartoons.

I believe in taking nasty medicine before eating from the box of chocolates so I began with Math. I only tested out of the very lowest class so I'm in Math 0950. I'm also a chicken so I'm only taking one class my first semester.


I am having such a great time! Seriously! Comprehension is a 180 degree turn-around from when I learned all this back in junior high. It's exciting to me and I'm thrilled to see hope in my brain for Math since I have a few more classes to go after this.

But math? I still hate you.
You irritate the snot out of me and the auto-reflex in my right arm that hits the calculator button for everything bigger than 12 + 12 is still functioning, but a big no-no.

I hate that today I tried to do what I thought was a new simple step and found that my answers were more wrong than right. Then when I asked for the example it turned out that my addition or subtraction of one or two digit problems was wrong. I finally had to just put it away until my brain gained back the suddenly-gone ability.

So math? Hate. School? Love.

3 comments:

Joni said...

Yay, yay, yay! You're doing it!

Proud of you and thrilled that the math, while unpleasant, isn't as daunting as you feared.

Jake said...

My experience with Math was similar, especially the 0950 entrance part. I put it off until late in college and was surprised to see that finally, at some point, my brain had become ready to accept math and succeed at it. Not a natural, but fared much better than in secondary school. Congrats on diving in and making it happen!

thefirewoman said...

You are going to kick Math's butt. You've been warned, Math. Cami's here so watch your back.