I've been doing a lot of records indexing on Familysearch lately and my favorite records have been military registration records. They're quite fascinating because a great deal of them have physical descriptions of the applicants. I was interested to see that many of the WWII enlistees were 5 ft 7 in and SHORTER. We're definitely becoming a taller people.
Today I was very struck by a line on a New York WWII Draft Registration card. It asked for the "Name and Address of the Person Who Will Always Know Your Address." The answer on this card was obviously the man's mother.
I got a little teary in thinking about how my own mother plays this roll. Have a high school reunion coming up? Call the person's mother. Big family event? Call the mom for the addresses of her grown children.
Right?
Is this one of the reasons that it's so hard to lose a mother, even knowing we will be with them again someday? The thought that the someone who pretty much always knows where you are isn't there to tell anyone else. It's a piece of the care that mothers give that somehow never leaves their responsibility while on earth.
I am so humbly grateful for my mom. It's so easy to take her for granted in my busy life, but she just does so much. To examine her as a person and not just the one who raised me and taught me and wiped off my face when I was young (and not so young), I see an amazing, giving person who never hesitates to help others. She sacrifices her peace of mind daily to get along with an ex-daughter-in-law and her own children for the sake of her grandbabies. She is always thinking of ways she can ease the burdens of others and yet her own are so great. Mom, you simply rock.
I love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You need a "like" button for everyone to click on! Your mother is the most awesome person I know! I'm so grateful to have her for my sister!!
Lovely tribute to a lovely woman.
this made me tear up a bit!! Your mom is a wonderful lady and although I don't know her as well as I'd like... what I do know, I am happy to!! Thanks for this!
So true... I am often reminded of what I'm going to do when I don't have my mom around any more... there are definitely some things that need to be taken care of... she has a memory of things that I will never have.... I better get on that!
I think your mom is awesome! I don't even know her well and I think she is great!
WOW...How sweet was this to read!?! I guess this is a good reason the at I need to get on your blog every day. Thanks for the sweet words! I'm honored to be your Mommy and I feel so blessed with 4 wonderful children and 6 even more wonderful grandchildren! Love you Cami I was due for a good cry!
Post a Comment