daily quote for your perusal

For Family Home Evening last night, I read the kids a story out of the March Friend about a boy who realized that he can do things that are hard for him to do.

My kids often get frustrated by the new and seemingly difficult challenges of growing up and learning, so this lesson turned out to really be excellent for them.

After I read the story, I asked everyone to name something that was hard for them to do once, but now was a lot easier.

This is what they said=>

Bryce: Climbing Trees
Ella: Playing Lego Star Wars
Dane: Math especially subtraction
Cami: Visiting Teaching
Cameron: General Handiwork/Home Fix-em-up stuff

Next I asked what is something we each do now that is hard, but we do it because we know it's good or important. Answers =>

Bryce: Putting toys away
Ella: Riding my tricycle uphill
Dane: Piano Recitals
Cami: Balancing my time
Cameron: Discussing family and financial matters with Cami

Finally, for fun or future, I asked for what they would like to learn one day that they think would be hard. =>

Bryce: Fix holes with tape
Ella: Be an artist and paint
Dane: Build machines that work
Cami: Play the piano or mandolin
Cameron: Learn to do basic electrical work

It turned out to be a pretty cool lesson and I think that my trying to be closer to the spirit lately helped bring that about. It was nice to get a glimpse into everyone's thoughts as well, which makes me so pleased in the progress I see them make.

We can do hard things!

8 comments:

CJMsquared+6 said...

What great answers on all accounts!! I love it when FHE goes well and the spirit helps to let you know that things are really sinking in!

Kelly Ann said...

I saw this article and haven't had a chance to read it, but I am so excited to do so. Our family motto is "I'm a Cope, I can do hard things and make good choices." The kids say this everyday before school. I love your FHE idea and I'd love to use it. Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

Jessica said...

Love this!! It's my turn next week for FHE and I'm totally copying this. Plus I LOVE that message anyway!

Doug and Christie said...

Yeah, we can. Thanks for the reminder.

rachel said...

This is so funny that I am reading this today. This statement went through my mind last night as I prayed and as I woke up this morning. Tomorrow brings one of the hardest things I have ever done and I have everything to lose. The only thing that keeps me going is HIM and because HE asked me to do it, I will.

Thank you.

Kirbell said...

Great FHE! I need that lesson.

Brooke said...

What a great lesson idea. Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope ours goes as well.

kellykumquat said...

An inspired mother is the best kind of mother and you've always been an inspiration to me of what a good mother should be! Way to enlighten instead of entertain your kids. Can I steal your idea? Love you!