I am lonely for the company of the fictional characters I've been getting acquainted with lately.
I love that feeling of sadness, almost remorse, I get as I close a book I've really loved, whose characters I feel I have understood, suffered and rejoiced with, but I hate to leave them behind.
Part of me wants to re-read the last pages or a particular scene that I've loved, but I honestly feel like I'm intruding. They've said their good-byes to me and want to get on with their lives, but I want to linger longer. Re-reading takes a little bit of the magic away if you do it immediately.
I love that feeling of sadness, almost remorse, I get as I close a book I've really loved, whose characters I feel I have understood, suffered and rejoiced with, but I hate to leave them behind.
Part of me wants to re-read the last pages or a particular scene that I've loved, but I honestly feel like I'm intruding. They've said their good-byes to me and want to get on with their lives, but I want to linger longer. Re-reading takes a little bit of the magic away if you do it immediately.I feel this way about the tales told me by my writing group as well, though it's a bit different. Their characters haven't said good-bye yet. They're right in the middle of their adventures and I've come to love them, but I have to wait till they tell me more.
Oh, fiction, what a great escape you are! Sigh...

5 comments:
What lovely thoughts! That is so true and now you may laugh, but rereading Twilight the second time? I am remembering why I gave it 5 stars...
Fiction, ah. I couldn't agree more. I'm hoping to have more time to read as the weather gets colder. That's one plus to winter on the way! That and hot chocolate, warm baths and down comforters!
I agree wholeheartedly. After I read gwtw I felt lost for weeks without Melanie.
love this picture. love your thoughts. Reading good fiction is one of the best escapes there is. Close behind it is writing good fiction...it just takes so much more work! ;)
Any good books you'd recommend? I recently felt that way after reading In the Company of the Courtesan. Very good read.
Post a Comment