Husband: Yessir...This is your true road side rotgut!
Wife: Mmmmm
Husband: Don't tell me you're enjoying this stuff!
Wife: John, it's amazing what tastes good when you don't cook it yourself!
My children are extremely picky. I've made no secret of that here.
Lately, I throw dinner together nearly every night with stuff that ranks just above junk food (with a side of broccoli) just to avoid the belligerent whines and complaints about any and everything that isn't exactly what each of them wants.
For awhile, I was making them try new things, bribing them if I had to, and it's worked up to a point. Yes, they'll now eat chicken that hasn't first been breaded and fried, they'll gobble up pork roast as well. Broccoli takes a little more persuasion than usual, but probably because it's cold nowadays.
You see, when the kids complain they are sent to their rooms for a break (it sounds severe, but if one complains suddenly each kid loses their appetite). This delays the start of dinner and everyone gets increasingly cranky.
Sunday dinner, sadly, is our worst day. I really make a nice effort that day to give Cam what his mom would do if she were making dinner. Lots of extras...stuff I would rejoice over if it were made for me, yet even so I'm excited to eat.
It takes us two hours to eat Sunday dinner with several trips down the hall to talk about appropriate and respectful behavior. I guess the more food their is even though they aren't required or expected to touch most of it the more breaks they need from the table.
It's exhausting.
Will the madness ever end? Will my kids ever learn to eat food based on trust and not what their eyes tell them? Will they ever eat carrots? Will they ever savor the glorious taste of a home-grown tomato? Will they ever have salad with their croutons?
Is this the end this mother sanity?
Yes. Yes it is.

3 comments:
That is when I would stop caring if they eat. They won't let themselves starve. Harsh? Maybe.
Kids are rough. Let's have a Dr. Pepper. And some chocolate.
How funny! I was just telling Curtis about how I was the "nice" mom when we were visiting family because I didn't MAKE my kids eat everything on their plate. I have sort of given up on making them eat. They try everything but they go through sperts where sometimes they eat us out of house and home and the next week they are little birds... I'm with Angie... they won't starve themselves!
Ha - THis is so close to home. When our kids leave the table (as the tend to wander) their dinner dissapears. and that's it for the night. pluse they get trips to their room too - but I need to be more consistant about that.
Post a Comment