daily quote for your perusal

July 27th, 2009 is Dane's first day of school.

Second grade.

He was so excited! He woke up at 6 AM. Got completely ready so quickly we all had extra time on our hands.We went early.
I walked him to his classroom since I didn't know where the 2nd graders lined up. We met his new teacher and suddenly I could feel the waves of terror throbbing from his tender heart.
He introduced himself, found his desk and then his teacher saved the day, though she didn't know it, by showing us where the 2nd graders were lined up.
Then Dane saw Isaac and everything was all better. I could feel his calm, his growing confidence that everything would be fine today. He was greeted with enthusiasm by all his former classmates that were there.
He initiated the good-bye hug and sent me on my way with that same fluttering emotion that the first day of school gives mothers.
I didn't cry.

6 comments:

The Scott and Camille Neilson Family said...

How do you like the year round school thing? We missed you at the reunion :)

Brooke said...

Glad it went well for everyone. :)

Angie said...

He's cute as a button! (Unless he's reading this-then definitely cool as an ice cube.)

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Hey Cami!
I saw your comment on the SFHS blog. Great to see you and your cute family. I enjoyed your New York trip post. I used to live in Pine Brook New Jersey, about 10 minutes northeast of Morristown. I only went into the city a couple of times but it is a fun place.If you ever go back to NJ there is a great bakery in Fairfield off 46 called Calandra's. It was a regular haunt of mine. I recommend the brownies.

Amy (Bartholomew) Whetten

Seegmiller Six said...

What a cutie. I can't believe 2nd grade. Any advise to me- andrew starts kindergarten this year. I'm starting to feel a little old. :)

* said...

Yes, Lucille is a sweet poet. I met her work in college (BYU) and even carried some of her stuff with me as a missionary in Uruguay, reading it to other Hermanas (sister missionaries) on Pdays. I was a little hooked on poetry and still am. Sounds like we are poetry crazed sistas.