daily quote for your perusal

Sunday morning:
The funny thing about the Metropolitan Museum of Art is that unless you do your research and ask every employee you spot about the location of certain pieces you are doomed to miss those that you'd really want to see.

Example 1:
The Scream by Edward Munch

I have loved Munch for a long time and he is best known for his painting The Scream.
Who knew the Met had a lithograph of the same by the artist? Not me. In fact, I probably walked right past it on my way to another exhibit. Example 2:
The Unicorn Tapestries

I have loved these since seeing them in the opening credits of the cult animation film The Last Unicorn and have always wanted to see them. The Met had them. Where? I don't know.
(BTW you may also have seen these in the Griffindor common room)Example 3: Anything Rossetti or pre-Raphelite
Didn't run into a one, but they were there...somewhere. Seriously, there is not enough time in a day!Now before we leave the Met, here's a few things that I didn't know were there, but did see.
This was entitled Joan of Arc and up against the cottage, if you look really closely, you can see images of the saints she saw in her visions.This was the most striking portrait of the Virgin Mary that I've ever seen. Love the direct look of her eyes.Pictures for my kids... This was a picture my kids got the most excited about...don't ask me!We did finally leave and went over to Central Park. Cam took this of me by The Great Lawn.
Self-timer in The Ramble of Central ParkAt an exit/entrance of Central Park.My final act in New York City? Just one last amazing piece of thin crust pizza!Good-bye Big Apple!

Well, then.
Due to three separate issues with two different trains, I missed my plane home. I was bummed because I had never been away from my kids this long when they weren't at least with Cameron (see Education Week), however, I got to go with Cameron back to his new hotel in Morristown, New Jersey. (and I understand why it is called "The Garden State") I also got to meet his boss and a co-worker who are both based in Irvine, CA so normally that wouldn't have happened. Cool!

For dinner that night we had a memorable meal of Colombian food including this odd item called yuca or cassava. Quite tasty!
I left early the next morning and was happily reunited with my kiddos around lunch time.
What a trip!!!

2 comments:

rachel said...

Love all the pics! Are you going to include one of Hope II ? Seeing all of these just nails down my resolve to go even more :) And casava...isn't that what Michael and Claire eat at that crazy restaurant??

Jessica said...

I'm obviously hungry because I'm kind of stuck on the pizza descriptions!

It looks so so so fun and I really think I'm the last person on the PLANET to see Wicked.