daily quote for your perusal

I know that not everyone is as passionate about music as I am, so I thought I'd help! *wink*
Seriously, though, I have some odd and some new music tastes and I thought I'd share a bit about some different artists/bands. They're all a bit obscure. Much of this I have loved and listened to almost daily for well over a decade. Yep, I'm old.
In the player to the right I have put the songs mentioned here as well as one more song per artist that is a favorite of mine from their full works.


Kate Bush
Most Accessible Album for the Masses: The Red Shoes. It's less experimental and let's face it, less weird. It has some lovely songs, but Song of Solomon can be avoided due to foul language.

Memorable Lyric: "Just being alive It can really hurt And these moments given Are a gift from time Just let us try To give these moments back To those we love To those who will survive"

Favorite Track: a toss up between Moments of Pleasure and You're the One. My user name Rubber band Girl is from this album.

Recognisable Track: The Red Shoes perhaps

One song you might have heard from this artist on the radio: Running Up that Hill
Why You Should Listen: She's quirky, passionate and she spins a good yarn. (I love her 'story' songs)

Published in: 1993

Red House Painters
Most Accessible Album for the Masses: Ocean Beach
Memorable Lyric: I'd like to come home to see you and embrace your illness under soft light, but then you'd know how much i really need you. All the love in an instant makes my life stop, but then my hate for you makes my feelings altogether drop.
Favorite Track: Drop
Recognisable Track: Summer Dress
One song you might have heard from this artist on the radio: Mistress
Why You Should Listen: This man can feel pain and regurgitate it into lyrics and guitar strains like no one else. From my understanding, most of Mark Kozelek's work during Red House Painters was about a girlfriend that ended up dying from cancer. Makes the song Drop very poignant.
Published in: 1995

Travis
Most Accessible Album for the Masses: Any, but I chose their singles album. All their stuff is great!
Memorable Lyric: "If I told you a secret, you won't tell a soul? Will you hold it and keep it alive?"
Favorite Track: Love Will Come Through
Recognisable Track: Why Does It Always Rain on Me? (especially if you've been listening to Stephenie Meyer's Twilight play list)
One song you might have heard from this artist on the radio: Driftwood
Why You Should Listen: Totally relaxing, yet deep music. Overall good sound and love the lead singer's voice.
Published in: 2004

Tori Amos
Most Accessible Album for the Masses: Little Earthquakes. The best place to start with Tori is at the beginning.
Memorable Lyric: "May be she's just pieces of me you've never seen, well."
Favorite Track: Tear in your Hand
Recognisable Track: Crucify
One song you might have heard from this artist on the radio: Crucify
Why You Should Listen: It's not all about Crucify. Skip it! Winter, Happy Phantom, China...it's all good!
Published in: 1992

Dead Can Dance
Most Accessible Album for the Masses: Into the Labyrinth
Memorable Lyric: But I'm not bitter. No! I'm surviving
Favorite Track: How Fortunate the Man with None
Recognisable Track: may be The Carnival is Over
One song you might have heard from this artist on the radio: American Dreaming, but you've probably heard Lisa Gerard's singing on many a soundtrack.
Why You Should Listen: Despite it's dour sounding name, this group (Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerard) produce beautiful and unique music, non-synthesized. Taking their influence from 14th century instrumental pieces as well as Middle-Eastern and tribal sounds, DCD can take you on a walk through a dark Gothic cathedral one moment on a desert exodus the next. DCD is a two-part kind of band. Pure vocal sound is sung by Gerard in some of the songs and Perry sings English-lyric songs. I am so in love with this man's voice. It soars and it is so powerful, but alas he is not much on his own. His solo album did nothing for me.
Published in: 1993

Belle & Sebastian
Most Accessible Album for the Masses: Dear Catastrophe Waitress. Others can be a bit too irreverent for me.
Memorable Lyric: If I could do just one near perfect thing I’d be happy.They’d write it on my grave, or when they scattered my ashes.On second thoughts, I’d rather hang around and be there with my best friend,If she wants me.
Favorite Track: Step into my Office, Baby
Recognisable Track: none for me
One song you might have heard from this artist on the radio: I've never heard B&S on the radio
Why You Should Listen: The practical attitude. It's a shrug-your-shoulders, life-happens-and-I-want-to-tell-you-about-it feel.
Published in: 2003

Cocteau Twins
Most Accessible Album for the Masses: Four-Calendar Cafe
Memorable Lyric: Well, Cocteau Twins don't exactly have lyrics, but this album is more accessible because actual words are more discernible here than other albums. And there's the track: Pur, written to her newborn daughter. It has lyrics, so "I am not afraid of your anger, but do you need more than me?"
Favorite Track: Summerhead
Recognisable Track: no
One song you might have heard from this artist on the radio: Frosty the Snowman
Why You Should Listen: Elisabeth Fraser's vocals and Robin Guthrie's flanged guitar and chimes and all of it take you to worlds unknown. It's gorgeous once you get a taste for it.
Published in: 1993

One last thing on music...
I'm really starting to think that I missed my calling as a drummer. No, I'm serious. I can keep a really good beat and lately, when I listen to Hysteria by Muse I find myself pounding my steering wheel like crazy. Anyone, know where I can find a resonably-priced Tama set?
Have a nice day!

3 comments:

rachel said...

Wow! This was an extremely well researched, thorough and deeply personal post, Cami! This is the music of your soul and I'm grateful you've shared it :) (I'm listening to the CD you made me as I write this!) By the way, the play is Cash on Demand and I HIGHLY recommend it.
It is a hilarious British comedy. We were honestly laughing through the whole thing. Just loved it!

Anonymous said...

I definitely credit you for introducing me to Kate Bush and Depeche Mode, two groups I continue to listen to on almost a daily basis. Nice suggestions!

Jen said...

Ha! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I just have to tell you that I had the Dead Can Dance concert T in high school. Hmmm...I know 4 of your 7 listed. Sounds like I should check out the other 3.