daily quote for your perusal


One might not think it, but my very conservative, predictable husband (his own words, I promise) is very good at surprises. On second thought, that's probably why he's good at surprises, but anyway...


While doing his usual grocery shopping on Saturday, he called to tell me that he'd bought something. There was a pregnant pause and I had to ask him whether he'd been naughty. Another pause. Then I knew...


"You bought the tree, didn't you?"

Since last year, when we moved into this house, Cameron has wanted another Christmas tree...a very tall Christmas tree to fill these high ceilings. My bargain hunting man has been considering a particular 12' pre-lit tree at Sam's Club for two years now. Then on Saturday, with only one tree left, it was marked down by half and Cameron snatched it up. I suppose that's why we are conservative in money matters, so we can be extravagant when it's too good a deal to pass up.

I figured we'd just stick it in storage until next year when we have, you know, ornaments, etc. but of course, we had to make sure it worked and so yesterday we assembled a very tall, very wide tree. I admit, I was a bit annoyed. It was December 21st and I already had a tree after all, but when it was finally assembled, not even groomed yet, we hit the lights and it was like magic. Cameron stared in awe saying: "Do you remember being so small you could hardly reach any branches? I do. It's like being a kid again."

Ella said "It's the most beautiful-est tree in all the world!"

Dane could just say "Wow." Bryce may simply not have noticed (he liked hiding in the boxes it came in), but I was impressed. Bring on the glass balls in bulk!

I had made some gingerbread cookies and the kids ate those while I read them two Christmas stories for bed...while they sat in the tree box. They asked to sleep in the boxes, but I did say no to that.


Final note: I totally recommend those Christmas stories. One was sweet and one was really great: Old Sadie and the Christmas Bear by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor and The Christmas Knight by Jane Louise Curry.

4 comments:

rachel said...

I concur with Dane: WOW

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tree! Sleeping in the boxes sounds pretty fun to me-all you need is a bunch of pillows and blankets and you're set!

Kirbell said...

It's amazing. So is the fact that Cameron got it! Yipee for good deals!

Anisa said...

Yea, Wow!