daily quote for your perusal

The manufacturers of cold cereal were almost on to something great back in the 80s when Kellogg's Frosted Flakes made commercials showing a handful of adults finally admitting to secretly loving the cereal.



My problem, however, is not the shame of loving something made for kids. It is: how do I get to eat sugary cereal without my kids begging me for some themselves? They get to have sugary cereal as a snack for church and that's it. It's not good for them! And so...

To all manufacturers of Lucky Charms, Golden Grahams, Honeycomb, Cap'n Crunch, Froot Loops, Corn Pops, Honey Smacks, Cocoa Puffs (and if the cereal called Disney's: Mud and Bugs, that had Pumba and Timon on the cover, it is still made, this goes for you, too):
Would it be too much to ask that you package your cereal in a plain box, unmarred by any cartoon characters or comic fonts? Could you also let the cereals retain their natural colors? This would prevent my children of being alerted to the fact that what I have in my bowl is brimming
with enough sugar to put a hummingbird in a coma. I wouldn't mind.
Thanks,
A Concerned and Addicted Customer

I jokingly tell you that my husband is somewhat to blame. Cameron is the grocery shopper and he get some amazing deals on food. Thus, I get the call: "Out of Raisin Bran, Honey Smacks and Corn Pops, how many do you want to make up a total of eight boxes?" I do usually respond that I'd like 5-6 Raisin Bran (which I like quite a lot) and 1 of each of the others. However, the choices don't usually include that very healthy Raisin Bran and suddenly, I am able to do what I never got to do as a child...eat as much sugary cereal, without mixing it with a healthier cereal, as I want! Woo-hoo and YUM!

4 comments:

rachel said...

What's up with making me hungry with all of your posts lately?! I swear I lived on peanut butter puffs during my pregnancy...

Melissa said...

I love Sugary cereal!!! Especially the Peanut Butter puffs that Rachel talked about!! Yummy!! And I hate to tell you this but don't let the Raisin Bran Fool you!! Even though it has a good amount of fiber and a little protein it is one of the most sugary cereals!! Raisin Bran has 190 calories with 17.6 grams of sugar compared to Corn Pops with 117 calories and 14.8 grams of sugar and Honey Smacks with 100 calories and 15 grams of sugar! Crazy I know!! When I found that out I was shocked! But hey everyone needs fiber so that's still good!!

Anisa said...

Is that why my kids are so hyper???

jenica said...

oh yes. i love me some fruity pebbles... but i HATE to share it with my kids. it's my late night treat.