This past week and long weekend has been overshadowed by a giant monolith of frustration.
For about three weeks, Dane has been telling me that he hasn't had any homework ("except for reading"). With the school year winding down, I fell for it, though I did write his teacher a note about it, but I think she misunderstood me and then busy-ness happened...
Anyway, when Dane came home May 16th with 38 pages of homework and classwork that he hadn't done (most were two-sided) over the past three weeks. I was so blown away that I couldn't even raise my voice. Somehow I was given clarity of thought and discussed this all with him and the consequences he was in line to receive due to his choices. (ex: if his class work was done, he
was allowed to enjoy Choice Time in class. He had chosen to write his name on his paper and then go to Choice Time which brought on no choice at home as to what his activities would be).
was allowed to enjoy Choice Time in class. He had chosen to write his name on his paper and then go to Choice Time which brought on no choice at home as to what his activities would be). I gave him a stack of 10 pages a night.
In the beginning there were temper tantrums, screaming and playing on-the-sly , but I am so happy and pleased to say now, after a week of HARD work (he did 16 pages just yesterday alone), that he finished and finished well 42 pages total of class and homework. I really think he has learned from this. (I hope so!) I can tell he feels really accomplished about this. His teacher was thrilled and you bet I put the stack in her hands myself this morning.
Whatta kid! I am amazed how quickly he really did this and stuck to it for the second half of the week. I am so glad school is out this week!

2 comments:
Isn't it crazy how sneaky they are at these ages?! I get this trick once a week from my munchkins. It took half a year to really figure it out!!! Another gift of motherhood! LOL cute though :) he's so cute!
I'm glad to hear that one worked out okay in the end!
Post a Comment