I love poetry. That is no secret. It seems to be constantly floating through my mind. Lately, I've had Never Give All the Heart by William Butler Yeats (my favorite!) and it has to be the saddest love poem in the world (especially if you know the background):
Never give all the Heart
W.B. Yeats
Never give all the heart, for love 
Will hardly seem worth thinking of
To passionate women if it seem
Certain, and they never dream
That it fades out from kiss to kiss;
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.
O never give the heart outright,
For they, for all smooth lips can say,
Have given their hearts up to the play.
And who could play it well enough
If deaf and dumb and blind with love?
He that made this knows all the cost,
For he gave all his heart and lost.
Contrarily, I thought about what might be considered one of the happiest love poems and this came immediately to mind:
Jenny Kissed Me
by Leigh Hunt
Jenny kissed me when we met,
Jumping from the chair she sat in.
Time, you thief! who love to get
Sweets into your list, put that in.
Say I'm weary, say I'm sad;
Say that health and wealth have missed me;
Say I'm growing old, but add-
Jenny kissed me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
More of those please! (Congrats on finishing the move!)
Poetry is way too over my head. I'm just not a deep enough thinker or serious enough of a person for it. That's why I need you as my friend... to help me out a little.
It's all about balance, isn't it, Anisa?
Post a Comment